I found a recipe that comes close:
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced, peeled
- ½ teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- Heat hoisin, honey, ginger and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Allow sauce to simmer for 2-3 minutes then remove from heat.
- Reserve ¼ cup of sauce.
- Lightly score diagonal cuts across the hot dogs.
- Liberally brush hot dogs with sauce.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill for the direct grilling method, using medium heat.
- Place hot dogs on grill rack, about 4 to 5 inches from the heat. Cook hot dogs over direct medium heat to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, basting often with the sauce.
- During last 3 to 4 minutes, open hot dog buns and lightly toast them over indirect heat.
- Brush buns with reserved hoisin sauce.
- Place hot dogs into heated buns.
- Sprinkle chopped green onions atop hot dogs.